GRILLING YOUR STEAK
• Thicker steaks will grill better and more evenly than thin steaks.
• Be sure not to trim all the fat off your steak as it adds great flavor.
• Use spray oil on the grill to keep your steaks from sticking.l
• Before grilling your steaks, bring them to room temperature
• For best results litely season with salt and pepper and add a thin layer of favorite oil.
• Use tongs to turn your steaks not a knife or fork since those utensils will cut your meat and loose valuable juices!
• To test for doneness (rare, medium-rare, medium, medium-well, and well), use a meat thermometer. Don’t cut into the steak while it’s on the grill, or you’ll lose the juices, and the steak will dry out.
• Once you take your steaks off the grill, put them on a clean platter, not the platter you used to carry the raw meat to the grill.
• Steaks will continue to cook after you take them off the grill, so slightly undercook them to reach the appropriate level your family or guests prefer.
• After you take the steaks off the grill, let them set for about 10 minutes, wrapped loosely in foil, so that the juices from the meat absorb back in.
• Before serving your steaks, rub them with unsalted butter. This will add flavor and shine to your steaks.
Temperatures For Grilling The Perfect Steak:
Rare: 140 degrees
Medium Rare: 150 degrees
Medium: 160 degrees
Medium Well: 165 degrees
Well: Above 165 degrees
Note: Steaks will continue to cook after they’ve come off the grill, so add another 5 degrees into your calculations when you’re testing for doneness.
Grilling Times For Steak:
Grilling times for steaks will vary (for the most accurate approach, use a meat thermometer and follow the temperature guidelines above), but in general, here are steak grilling times:
8-10 minutes for 1 inch thick steak
10-14 minutes for 1.5 inch thick steak
12-16 minutes for 2 inch thick steak
12-14 minutes for 1 inch thick steak
16-20 minutes for 1.5 inch thick steak
18-22 minutes for 2 inch thick steak
16-20 minutes for 1 inch thick steak
22-26 minutes for 1.5 inch thick steak
24-28 minutes for 2 inch thick steak
Feeling A Steak For Doneness:
You can also test how a steak’s been cooked by feeling it. Here’s how the steak will feel:
Rare steak – soft
Medium steak – firm, but with some give
Well done steak – very firm